Posts tagged ‘jazztel’
We’ve been with Jazztel for a couple of years and generally they’ve been pretty decent but 6 months ago or so we noticed that the download speed wasn’t quite what it should be.
Our home setup is a little odd – the office is at the back of the building – almost as far away from the incoming ADSL connection as you can get. We have a Wireless N bridge between the 2 rooms – it’s a little temperamental but generally works. We have a plethora of wifi networks around us and it’s sometimes hard to find a clear channel without too much interference – so I’d assumed that the connection speed I was getting in the office was related.
More recently I’ve been able to do some proper testing of our setup and to my surprise I found that the local network was running fine. Not great but easily getting transfers of 5-10MB.
So I picked up the phone and called the usually helpful tech support of Jazztel to get some help with getting the issue fixed.
ADSL depends a lot on the distance you are from the exchange – so reaching the 20MB service we were paying for was unlikely but we were getting an avg transfer speed of 110 KBps – easily under 1MB so something was up.
Jazztel tech support has changed a lot – often the case as a company grows – and it’s not changed for the better. The first person we managed to reach was polite, helpful and quickly found that our line speed has been capped at 1MB even though their system reports that we should be getting the 20MB service. Ok – cool – so now we know it’s not an ADSL technical issue – it’s config related. Unfortunately he didn’t know how to get the cap removed – no worries he says – he’s passed it up the management food chain and we’ll get a call back the next day.
Days come & go without a call – so we call back. The experience this time however is worse – we reach an aggressive tech that tells us there is no problem and what we have is the best we’ll get. When I explain that we’ve been told otherwise and he needs to look more closely – he hangs up the phone and we end up talking to Customer Service and end-up with the usual tech support/customer-service ping-pong.
Yes there’s an issue but we don’t know how to fix it – if you’d like it fixed then you need to call tech support. Tech Support tell put you through to Customer Service – Huh!?!?
Some of the tech support can see the issue, others can’t be bothered enough to look past the automated tele-script their call center has to help.
The fact that there’s a cap on the line can be seen – and the cap is 5% of the service that’s being paid for. The actual bandwidth we’re getting is 10% less – so even though they’re happy to take your cash for a 20MB service, they’re delivering 0.5% of it.
Now it might just be a technical blunder – some config was written badly and it’s choked the line but the concern is that they don’t know how to fix it. Their system apparently doesn’t let them change the cap that’s been applied. This is worrying – as it means that management has prevented their techs from making the required change.
And if it’s a restriction put in by management – then in my mind it’s a management decision then it’s policy – which means deception & theft.
It’s a shame – they’re a young company that showed really great potential for delivering not only a decent service – but had a great ethic towards their approach to working with customers. Originally they provided a decent service for a good price without shafting customer-care, tech support or all of the other customer-oriented frills that makes a good service.
ISP’s often hide behind the ADSL “distance from exchange” statement to explain the connection speed – but this is the first time I’ve encountered masked management driven caps on the service beyond the usual Acceptable Usage Policies.